Lumiskin Product Overview
Lumiskin was bioengineered by a French company called Sederma. They create and extract active ingredients for the cosmetic and skin care industry, working with plant stem cells. Lumiskin, their trademark ingredient, can be found in various skin whiteners including those made by Revitol and Collagena. Lumiskin is made from Diacetyl Boldine (DAB), an antioxidant derived from Chilean tree bark. It is oil-soluble, recommended for use at 4%, and works to block stress receptors and stabilize Tyrosinase, the enzyme that trigger hyperpigmentation, or skin discoloration. It also promises to reduce melanin production caused by the sun, or UV rays, resulting in a radiant, more youthful glow. Lumiskin is not a bleaching agent. The results of Sederma’s product trials can be viewed online via a downloadable PDF on www.biologic.com along with before and after photos. Around 70% of users reported positive results from using the product. Sederma claims that DAB is up to 30 times more potent than Kojic Acid, another leading skin whitening agent synthesized from fungi. The product catch phrase claims you will look “lit from within with Lumiskin”.
Ingredients Contained In This Product
Diacetyl Boldine (DAB)
Lumiskin The Product Details
Lumiskin is Sederma’s name for Diacetyl Boldine (DAB), an antioxidant extracted from the bark of the Boldo tree in Chile. DAB is used by a variety of cosmetic companies in products such as skin lighteners, moisturizers, anti-aging creams, sunblock, concealer, acne toners and treatments, and skin cleansers. It is known to reduce sun-related damage and dark spots as well as other discoloration caused by hyperpigmentation.
Strengths Of Lumiskin
- Approximately 70% of Sederma test subjects reported improvement in skin tone and coloring.
- Product is found in a variety of skin care products and is therefore quite versatile.
- Product is reported to be 30 times more effective than Kojic Acid.
- Product information can be found on a downloadable PDF file online.
- Product is made from tree bark and is therefore non-toxic.
Weaknesses Of Lumiskin
- Although there are many reviews for products containing Lumiskin, it is difficult to find any first hand testimony online from users who have completed product trials for Diacetyl Boldine (DAB).
- Not enough research has been done on DAB to definitively say whether it is effective or not as a skin lightener.
Lumiskin The Bottom Line
Lumiskin is an isolated ingredient used in many skin care products including those made by companies such as Revitol and Collagena. It is difficult to evaluate the substance based on its inclusion in these companies’ products, however, since any number of factors could be responsible for said products’ success. Sederma’s fact sheet on Lumiskin does report excellent results in about 70% of test subjects, but no direct testimony is available to confirm these users’ experiences. More trials need to be conducted before beauty experts can definitively report that Lumiskin is effective.