Lips that are full and plump are a universal symbol of youth and sex appeal. Some women are simply blessed with pouty lips, but others need a little help to get the lips they’ve always wanted. Lip plumping can be achieved through the use of collagen injections, but you only need to watch television or look at magazines to see that this invasive and painful procedure can go horribly wrong. Sometimes the results are so unnatural looking that it’s obvious a woman has had injections. In other instances the lips can even take on a lumpy appearance. For those who aren’t willing to take such extreme and expensive measures, topical lip plumpers may be a better option.
To understand how topical lip plumpers work, it’s useful to look at what actually causes thin lips. The three main reasons for less-than-pouty lips are:
- UV exposure: The sun can wreak havoc on even the most gorgeous lips. The skin here is much thinner and more prone to sun damage. Unfortunately, even women who are diligent about using sunscreen on their skin often overlook their lips. With regular sun exposure, the collagen and elastin that give lips their structure and firmness starts to weaken and break down.
- Genetics: Some women have lips that are naturally full, but this isn’t a luxury enjoyed by everyone. Genes play an important role in the shapeliness of our lips.
- The natural aging process: Skin aging is primarily a result of lowered collagen and elastin levels, and the skin in the lip area is no exception. As the production of these vital connective tissues starts to decline, lips become less firm and start to take on a sagging appearance. They look thinner and aren’t as rosy pink. At this point wrinkles may also start to appear around the lips. As noted, sun exposure can hasten this process.
While lip plumpers cannot alter a woman’s genetics or completely stop the aging process, they can deliver several benefits to make lips look fuller and firmer. Results can be seen almost instantly, and topical lip plumpers are a safer, easier, and less expensive solution than injections. Lip plumpers can:
- Promote skin cell regeneration: By increasing skin cell production, plumpers can give lips a smoother texture and a more youthful appearance.
- Increase blood flow to the lip area: The best lip plumpers cause a gentle tingling sensation when applied. That’s because they contain mild, harmless irritants that encourage more blood flow to the lip area. This instantly makes lips plumper and rosier.
- Help boost collagen production: More collagen can improve the structure and firmness of lips to make them look fuller.
The best way to determine whether a lip plumper will be able to deliver the three key benefits listed above is to look at the ingredients it contains. Compounds you want to see in your lip plumper include:
- Hyaluronic acid: This is not only an extraordinary moisturizer, but can also help lips produce new skin cells more quickly. It’s so effective that it’s even used by medical professionals to speed healing in patients.
- Peptides: These help with cell turnover and can also increase collagen levels in the lips.
- Ingredients to enhance blood flow: Some of the best tingle-inducing ingredients to improve color and fullness are cinnamon, extracts derived from peppers, and benzyl nicotinate.
- One or more potent moisturizers: You want lips that are full, soft, and smooth, so make sure any lip plumper you are considering includes a quality moisturizer as part of its formulation. Jojoba oil and vitamin E are particularly effective at improving hydration and increasing silkiness.
By following the tips above and choosing a lip plumper that contains an optimal blend of effective ingredients, you may be able to get the fuller and poutier lips you’ve always wanted. Lip plumpers may not give you the same level of results as collagen injections, but the best ones on the market can produce immediate and long-term effects to plump lips and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles in the lip area. Overall, these products can improve your self-confidence and enhance the beauty of your smile.
Things you can do to keep lips looking great:
- Staying hydrated by drinking between six and eight glasses of water on a daily basis.
- Carrying and regularly applying a good lip balm that can help protect your lips year round.
- Keeping your hands away from your lips.
- Making an effort not to lick your lips, which can cause them to dry out.
- Following an eating plan that focuses on fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Taking a multi-vitamin to guard against vitamin B2 deficiency, a common cause of lip drying and cracking.
**This is a subjective assessment based on the strength of the available information and our estimation of efficiency.